Monday, December 9, 2013

Sir Chistory

Every now and then, one must do some cleaning up. De-cluttering. Removing the trail.

Yes, it is time to clear the Search History.

Heat Miser
Because the Christmas special "Santa Claus is Coming to Town" was starting, and I had to see if it was the one with the Heat Miser. Which it wasn't. It's the one with the Burger Meister Meisterburger. The Heat Miser is in "The Year Without a Santa Claus", only the best Christmas special ever.

Container for Ice Melt
Because Mom suggested carrying some in the car, and it comes in a large plastic bag. I was interested in having a container that would not be eaten through by the mysterious salty stuff. I did find someone who made a shaker out of a plastic coffee can, but not much else. They had to use a second lid because the holes were too small in the first one and it cracked. Thrilling stuff.

Homemade Ice Cream
Now, here I was looking for a way to make ice cream in my own freezer. I found a nice description of a method using a small plastic bag inside a large one and doing a lot of shaking. This, or another one of those plastic coffee cans seems to be the way to go. But I need half-and-half. This is a one-of -these-days project. There were some nice suggestions for flavors that I want to try.

Tzatziki Sauce
I made some of this a while ago and I have some falafil in the fridge, so I was trying to remember what the main ingredient was. Was it sour cream? No, it's plain yogurt. That makes more sense. Unfortunately, I don't have fresh yogurt in the fridge, even though I did get a cucumber. Maybe tomorrow.

Walking Tall
Because I caught the last half of it and then it started again on TV. The first part seemed so different from the last half. I looked it up to see the story summaries. One was a description of the first part, and the other included the bits I'd already seen. I recommend the second half.

Need a Tutorial
I was sort of hoping someone would need a tutorial that sounded like I could make it for them.

Techniques By Day
This was a keyboard-swipe misinterpretation of "temperatures by day". I wanted to find the date of a cold snap early in the year for some reason. I knew it was in February.

Turkey Casserole with Green Chiles
I have a lot of turkey left over from Thanksgiving, and I got a can of green chiles at the new natural foods store near the library. I love a good green chile with turkey, so... But all of the recipes were for something like enchiladas, completely southwesty. Not casseroley. I ended up with turkey, green chiles, peas, egg noodles, onion, celery, cheddar cheese and spinach. Ugly stuff I would never serve to anyone else.

Guy Burt
I looked this guy up because I watched Bletchley Circle on Netflix. I liked it a lot, and I was hoping for more like it. Didn't find more awesome shows about smart women after the war.

Alamo
My sister used this as a word in Word Feud. I was looking for a non-proper use of alamo as a word. I didn't find one. How did she get away with this?

Telling Weather with Leeches
I was reading a book - okay, listening to it - and they mentioned this fascinating thing about a guy who had a system of leeches that would ring bells in case of a storm. You can't read about that without looking it up. It's for real. I so so want to try this some day.

Econoheat Square
Okay, so I was looking up how to warm up a claw-foot tub to see if there were any clever ideas out there. Someone suggested these things. It's like a square you hang on the wall or something. Or put under your tub.

Candy Crush Ruining Relationships
Maybe I was just a little annoyed at someone... I learned quite a bit about this fascinating game that I've never played. How it trolls people along with little nibbles of wins and then makes it impossible for a while so they get frustrated and buy stuff to win, even though the patient ones will win eventually anyway. What they are buying is still beyond me. A game isn't a game if you can buy your way through it.

The Difference is Mink
This phrase was driving me nuts for a couple of days. I must have heard "the difference is..." somewhere, and my brain filled in the end of it. I knew it was from an old advertisement, but I couldn't think what the product was. Turns out it was Mink Difference hair products. Awesome marketing. It must have been 30 years ago.

Bored yet?

Amps Watts Volts
To get the formula so I could figure out if a heater would be too much for the circuit.

Damon and Pithius
This was mentioned and I had to look it up because I had never heard of this pair. It's from Greek mythology. The name is Pythias. They were friends and Pythias was sentenced to death. Damon took his place while he went home to settle his affairs. When he didn't come back, Damon's neck was on the line. Pythias made it back at the last second, claiming he was delayed by pirates. The guy who was going to kill him was so impressed with this friendship that he let them both live. Quite the story. I think Pythias was lying.

People Flying in Squirrel Suits
Umm... somebody said something about this, and I was curious. What the heck is a squirrel suit? I guess it's a company that makes "wingsuits". Skydiving stuff.

Basel FC
We were looking up the soccer teams on the TV during the break in the pub quiz, to see where they were from. These guys are Swiss.

Former US Colony in Africa
This is from the quiz. It's Liberia. Since then, I have been able to remember where Liberia is, because now I know this bit of detail about it.

As much as I'm enjoying this, I need to end it somewhere. I'm not sure if I should be proud or ashamed, but there is more.

For another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment