Thursday, July 17, 2008

Air on the Side of Caution

So that phrase just caught my brain when I read it, more so than the other varied misspellings in the pseudo-medical article I was reading. Yes, I am trying to find information on my mysterious abdominal pain. The doctor route hasn't really led me anywhere except to a lot of dead ends and tests that turn out "perfect". The latest theory is muscle strain. I'm a firm believer in every latest theory until the tests tell me that I'm wrong, and Airing on the Side of Caution is my new motto.


I want to take a moment to mourn a tragic loss: I seem to have killed my laptop hard drive in a valiant attempt to back it up like a good computer owner. I think it was like exercising a heart that is already too far gone - the thing came back to life briefly, but couldn't hold it together. I secretly hope that I can find a way to salvage something that might have been really important, but then another part of me secretly says "well, this is what you get for waiting to back it up" and also adds "and really you will be fine without any of that stuff". And to my great surprise, I am tending to agree with the latter. I expected that I would be distraught when this happened. Maybe it will hit me later when I remember what I lost. Anyway, let's just take a moment to think about those fleeting bits and bytes that we use instead of biological memory, and how thrilled I was to get that heavy little laptop of joy.



No comments:

Post a Comment